Red Kidney Beans - Indian Rajma Masala
Rajma masala is Punjabi cuisine n It appears very rare in my kitchen I don't like it very much but this time I searched recipe online and tried it again with new way and I started loving it.
I enjoyed with rice and Hubby with Chapati.Best Sunday Meal.
1 Cup Rajma (red kidney beans)
2 Onion,grounded paste
3 Tomato,grounded paste
1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
1 tsp Red chilly powder
1/4 tsp Garam masala powder
2 tsp Coriander seeds powder (Dhaniya powder)
4-5 tbsp Cream
1 tsp kastoori Maithi (optional)
Salt to taste
3 tbsp Oil
1 small piece Cinnamon
2 Black Pepper
1 Bay leaf
Method - How to Make Rajma Masala (Red Kidney Beans)
- Soak Rajma for 12 hours (overnight) and drain the water.
- Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles,with 1/4 tsp of salt and enough water to immerse the rajma completely. Once done, reserve the water.
- In a kadai/ pan, heat oil and season with cinnamon, elachi, cloves and bay leaf.
- Add the onion paste. Fry till transparent.Add ginger garlic paste and give it a fry for a minute.
- Add salt, red chilly powder and dhaniya powder.Add tomato puree. Mix well.Cook in medium flame for 4-5 minutes until the raw smell goes away
.Add kastoori methi crushed in between your hands.
Add the rajama and cook in medium flame for 5 minutes. Add the reserved water and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
Mix well, by now the water should have reduced and now, if needed add 1 cup water and cook in medium flame for another 5-8 minutes.
And lastly add cream and garam masala mix well. Just heat it for a minute. Do not let it boil. Switch off the flame.
Serve hot with roti or Rice.
- Do not overcook rajma.
- Cooking in the masala for long time makes it really tasty.
- Instead of onion,ginger garlic paste and tomato puree, you can use chopped also.
- kastoori Methi gives nice Aroma.