Methi ki Launji (मेथी की लौंजी) - Indian Recipes
IngredientsMethi (Fenugreek) Seeds - 100 gm (soak for 2 hours)
Dry Red Chillies (Whole) - 50 gm
Kishmish (Raisins) - 50 gm
Khajur (Dates) - 50 gm
Mustard Oil - 3 tbsp (or more based on how long you want to preserve this curry)
Gud (Jaggery) - 75 gm
Red Chilli Powder - 2 tsp (or per your taste)
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Jeera (Cumin) Seeds - 2 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Amchur (Dried Mango Powder) - 2-3 tbsp (depending on how much sourness you like)
Sugar - 2 tsp
Water for making curry - 1 cup
Preparation - How To Make Methi ki Launji
- Wash methi seeds and pressure cook it with dry red chillies, kishmish and khajur for 15-20 min ?(or 3-4 whistles). Once the cooker has cooled down, strain everything and let the bitter water drain.
- Now, heat mustard oil in a pan, add jeera and let it splutter. Then add cooked methi/kishmish/dates mixture to it. After mixing for 1 min., add haldi, red chilli powder, salt, amchur, gud, sugar and little water. Once it starts boiling, add garam masala and mix it. The curry is all done. Make sure that there is no running gravy. This should be close to a dried curry, but not completely dry.
- This can be served with practically anything - rice, roti, poori anything that you can eat a curry with.
- Anyone who is not used to fenugreek, may find it a bit bitter initially. You need to develop taste for it. One more note is that sometimes it helps to drain water once in the middle while soaking fenugreek seeds, just to reduce the bitterness. Also, feel free to increase the dates/kishmish quantity if want to make it sweeter. But, I would suggest, for the first time, make it the way suggested and then increase or decrease any ingredients depending on how you would like it to be.
- Enjoy the bitter/sweet/sour curry of fenugreek seeds. It is super yummy.
- This can be refrigerated for 2-3 weeks easily. Increase the quantity of mustard oil slightly for preserving longer.
- This is very good for people who have gas (वात) issues and also who have some aches in their joints.
- That's all for now.