Homemade Crunchy Vagetarian Samosa
Vegetable Samosas Recipe, -punjabi samosa recipe, Vegetable Samosa Recipe at home, How to make Samosas, Traditional Potato Samosa Recipe, Crispy & Spicy homemade samosa recipes, easy samosa recipes, samosa recipes in hindi, samosa recipes video, baked samosa recipes
I have also heard of Chocolate filled Samosas...mmmm....that would just taste so heavenly!! I should definitely try making that sometime!
I love Samosa , its my favorite, infact everyone in my family loves it! Its a very common Indian snack item and can be found in almost all bakery shops across India. Even at the restaurants here we get Samosa. :-)
The most common stuffing used is spiced Potatoes , sometimes green peas is also added.
Vagetarian Samosa Recipe:-
For the pastry shell:
All-purpose flour - 2 cups
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Ajwain seeds (Carom seeds) - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder - a pinch or 1/4 tsp ( optional)
Baking soda - 1/4 tsp (optional)
Oil - 1 tblsp ( Canola or vegetable oil preferred)
Salt - to taste
Warm Water - 1cup ( or enough to make a smooth dough)
For the filling in samosa:
Russet Potatoes - 2 large
Onion - 1 large (Chopped finely)
Green chillies - 2-3 (sliced thinly)
Carrot - 1 large (grated)
Green peas - 1/4cup
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tblsp
Garam masala powder, Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder , Corriander powder - 1/2 tsp each
Oil - 2tsp (for tempering)
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Ajwain (Carom seeds) - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - for frying
How to Make Samosa at Home
1. In a deep bowl mix the all-purpose flour, cumin seeds, ajwain seeds, oil , red chilli powder (optional), baking soda (optional) and salt with warm water and make a smooth dough and brush some oil over the dough and keep aside covered by a damp cloth for half an hour.
2. Boil the potatoes and peel off the skin.
3. In a pan heat 2 tsps of oil and crack the cumin seeds and ajwain seeds and add Onions, Green chillies and ginger garlic paste and saute until onions turn pink
4. Add the Carrots and Green peas and saute for another 2mins.
5. Now add the Garam masala powder, Turmeric powder, Red chilli powder and Corriander powder and Salt and saute for another 2mins and turn off the heat.
6. Mash the potatoes and add it to the veggie mix and combine it all together well. Check if the filling is seasoned well.
7. Take the dough and make small 'tennis ball sized' balls. (You may make larger balls depending on the size of the samosa)
8. Roll each ball into a circular shape with a rolling pin and cut it into half (almost a semi circle)
9. Make a cone shape by joining both the ends of the semi circle and pinch it together with the help of some oil or water.
10. Add 1tsp of the potato-veggie into the cone and fold in the end and again pinch it so that it is tightly closed.