Onion Kulcha Recipe - Indian Street-Food recipeOnion, potato kulcha is a north indian stuffed kulcha recipe. The leavened maida or refined flour flat breads called kulchas are stuffed with potatoes and onion and served with channa or pickle.
It tastes and looks like Naan, but it is not nor does it take that much time and effort. Its like a breeze. So what am I talking about? Yup, you are right. Talking about Kulchas. Kulchas are North Indian flat breads - originated from Punjab. They are especially enjoyed with choley (Spicy Chickpeas).
So what exactly is the difference between Naan and Kulcha? The ones that I know of is the obvious ones that- Naan is made of yeast while Kulcha make use of only baking powder and baking soda for its preparation.- Naans are usually oblong in shape while Kulchas are round.Both are made in Tandoor (earthern clay oven which enhances the taste of the bread) but Kulchas can be made on the stove top too. When you dont have Tandoor at home, you can make both Naan and kulchas in the oven. I made my Kulchas in the broiler but I have also shown how to make them in the stove top too.
Ingredients For Onion Kulcha
- 2 cups fine flour (maida)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- Salt to taste
For the filling:
- 1 large onion chopped finely
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1/4 tsp ginger,grated
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
How to Make Indian Onion Kulcha
1. Mix fine flour,baking powder,baking soda,sugar,salt,oil & yogurt in a large bowl & knead a
smooth dough using enough water. Keep aside for 2 hours.
2. Now mix onions,green chilies,carom seeds,ginger,cumin seeds & salt in a bowl.Filling is
3. Then divide the dough into small pieces & make rounds of each them.Roll it out into a small
circle with the help of a rolling pin.
4. Place onion filling in center of rolled circle, bring all sides up to enclose filling.Press it well.
5. Now roll down into a medium sized circle.
6. Heat a tava on medium flame & place kulcha.Cook it well from both sides until brown spots
appears using enough oil.
7. Serve hot.