Dal Baati Churma Recipe - Rajasthani Recipes Collection
When ever there is any marriage functions going on in the village the whole village people are invited for a feast and dal baati churma was must menu there Me along with some our family members went to my moms uncle's place and there they serve us with jumbo size Baati and churma ladoos, we had to stuff our belly bcoz they told us not to waste food.I have some fond memories every time I make dal baati I remember them and laugh out.
So there are many ways a traditional Dal baati churma is made in each home with some minute difference. Traditionally the baatis are crumbled with lots of ghee and the dal is poured over it and then they are enjoyed hot , but if you want you can skip the ghee ..
Method Of Making Baati - How to make BaatiIngredients
- Wheat flour - 1 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Butter or ghee - 3 tbsp
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and make a stiff dough . Then divide the dough in to equal portions, roll it round and slightly press it to disc shape .
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees and place the baati's on a baking sheet for about 25 minutes or till they turn brown on the surface.
- Then place the baatis on the rack for 10 mins to get the even color.
- The baati's are dipped in pure ghee so that they absorb most of the ghee .
- But with the daily health regimes , if you are not comfortable dipping the bati in ghee, you may drizzle little bit over the hot baked and fried baati and serve with Dal on side.
Method Of Making Moong Dal - How to make Moong Dal
- 1/2 cup Dal (split green gram dal)
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric pd
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli pd
- 1/2 tsp Coriander pd
- 1 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Garlic clove - 1-2 ( chopped) - Optional
- Pressure the dal with enough water for 3-4 whistles.
- After the pressure subsides remove the lid and mash the dal well with a ladle.
- In a pan heat oil add mustard and cumin seeds, let the splutter.
- Add asafoetida, turmeric pd, coriander pd, red chilli pd and little water.
- Pour this tempering in the mashed dal, add salt and let the dal boil.
- After it boil for few minutes and combines well, turn off the flame and serve it hot with baati.
Method Of Making Churma
- How to make
- Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Jaggery ( grated)- 1/4 cup
- Nuts - few chopped
- Oil/ ghee for frying
- Take whole wheat flour in a bowl and knead it to a firm and smooth dough
- Dived them to equal parts and and press it in between you palm to give ita dumpling shape with the finger impression.
- Heat oil / ghee in a kadai and fry these dumpling till golden brown in medium flame.
- After they are golden brown remove from the oil using a perforated ladle and transfer it to a kitchen towel/ tissue.
- After the cool down a bit crumble them using you hands or use a dry mixer to crumble them to a bread crum consistency.
- In a sauce pan heat ghee add the crumbled mixture and saute them a bit till you get a nice aroma.
- Add grated jaggery and mix them well. Cook them till the jaggery melts well and is absorbed by the wheat flour crumble.
- Garnish with nuts and serve the Hot or cold.