Easy Chicken Bartha Recipe
Bharta or bhurta means minced or mashed. It can be a vegetarian dish, like baingan bharta(egg plant grilled and mashed), or non-veg like chicken bharta. Today I made Chicken bharta. It is a very popular dish in the restaurants of Kolkata and I have tasted it so many times on several occasions.
I was thinking of making chicken bharta for a long time...but was not sure whether I can recreate the Kolkata style chicken bharta...then I came across this video in YouTube. And the restaurant they mentioned in this video is just a walking distance from my home in Kolkata. So I made up my mind to recreate that Kolkata style chicken bharta in my kitchen. I did came across several other recipes on the Internet. I took bits and pieces from all the these and made this chicken bharta. I could not manage to capture every single steps, but in near future I will post step by step pics for sure. So this time I managed to take few pics while making the chicken bharta, hope this will help you.Ingredients
Chicken - 2 lbs (boneless, skinless and chopped into very small pieces)
Onion - 4
Tomato - 1 (chopped)
Green Chillies - 3 (minced)
Ginger - 2" piece (minced)
Garlic - 8-10 (minced)
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilly Powder - 1 tblsp
Roasted Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
Kasoori Methi Powder - 3/4 tsp
Cashew paste - 1.5 tblsp
Tomato Ketchup - 3 tblsp
Water - 1/2 cup
Oil - 2 tblsp
Cilantro - handful
Salt - as needed
1. Heat oil in a pan and saute the ginger and garlic followed by the 2 chopped onions till it turns pink.
2. Add the tomatoes and green chillies and cook for few minutes.
3. Let the mixture cool and then puree it in a blender and keep aside.
4. Heat some more oil in the same pan and add the remaining 2 chopped onions, chicken pieces, turmeric powder and salt.
5. Saute it for few minutes, cover and let it cook in its own liquid.
6. The chicken oozes out a lot of water. Let it cook till all the water that has oozed out has evaporated completely.
7. Remove the lid and keep stirring till the chicken starts getting brownish.
8. At this stage add the chilly powder, roasted cumin powder, kasoori methi powder and garam masala powder.
9. Add the tomato ketchup and fry everything together for few minutes. The chicken tastes yummy at this stage itself.
10. Add the masala puree that we prepared earlier and the cashew paste and mix well.
11. Cook for few more minutes, add finely chopped corriander leaves and switch off.
12. Serve with any roti varieties or pulav.