2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound of fresh jumbo lump crab meat (I used claw meat)
1 pound spaghettini or other thin spaghetti.
1. In a large saute pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the chopped onion and saute until soft – about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring sauce to a boil.
3. Simmer sauce over low heat until slightly thickened, stirring frequently – about 15 minutes.
4. Pick over the crab meat, removing any shells.
5. Stir the crabmeat into the mixture and allow to cook for about 5 minutes to warm the crab meat. Do not over cook. Remove from heat.
6. Cook spaghettini in boiling, salted water until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Drain pasta in colander. Place drained pasta back in the pasta pot. Stir in the reserved pasta water and 3/4 of the crab meat sauce. Toss quickly.
7. Transfer to serving bowl. Spoon remaining sauce on top and garnish with additional chopped basil.