Peanut Butter-and-Jelly Sandwich Cookies
posted by Dinesh Soni
Peanut butter cookies make the perfect base for a layer of sweet strawberry spread. Serve these sweet-and-salty cookies for an afternoon snack or a sweet lunchbox surprise.
1/4 cup margarine, softened $
- 1/4 cup no-sugar-added creamy peanut butter $
- 1/2 cup "measures-like-sugar" calorie-free sweetener$
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites $
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup low-sugar strawberry spread
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat margarine and peanut butter with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sweetener and sugar, beating well. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour, soda, and salt in a small bowl, stirring well. Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating well.
- Shape dough into 40 (1-inch) balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Flatten cookies into 2-inch circles using a flat-bottomed glass. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly on pans; remove, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread about 1 1/2 teaspoons strawberry spread on the bottom of each of 20 cookies; top with remaining cookies.